Stanford e-China Letter of Recommendation (English Teacher)
Stanford e-China is a distance-learning course for high school students in China, sponsored by the Stanford
Program on International and Cross-Cultural Education (SPICE).
Stanford e-China will enroll exceptional high school students in China to engage in an intensive study of U.S.
society and culture. The course underscores the importance of U.S.–China relations. Former government officials, top scholars, and experts throughout the United States will provide web-based lectures and engage students in live discussion sessions or “virtual classes.” The course will be offered in English.
The course is intended to prepare students to live and study in the United States and covers a wide range of topics on U.S. society, history, politics, and economics. Stanford e-China students will gain practical skills necessary to
succeed in a U.S. academic environment and will have opportunities to interact online with high school students in the United States.
Students will participate in 10–12 “virtual classes." Virtual classes will meet in real time 2 or 3 Saturdays per month at 9 a.m. Beijing time. Students should expect to allot 3–4 hours per week to prepare for class and complete assignments. The course will culminate in an independent research project.
Students who successfully complete the course will earn Stanford Continuing Studies Program (CSP) credit and a Certificate of Completion from SPICE, Stanford University. More information on Stanford e-China is available at: www.stanfordechina.org.
With the description of Stanford e-China in mind, please write a letter of recommendation for your student. In this letter, please comment on the following areas:
• self-motivation and ability to complete course successfully
• academic ability (students will be required to complete weekly written assignments and provide a 3-page research
paper at the end of the course)
• personal qualitiesPlease write your recommendation in English and include the following information:
Please complete the letter in English (approximately 250 words) and include the following information:
• Your title/professional affiliation
• How long have you known this student
• How does this student rank academically within your school? Top one percent? Five percent?
• Compared with students in the same class, please rank this student’s English ability on a scale of 1 to 10
(1 being lowest, 10 being highest).
- Listening comprehension
- Reading comprehension
- Writing ability
Download a copy of eChina Recommendation Instructions (English)